I am not going to get super spoilery, but I am going to discuss the movie and so...there will be thoughts about the movie.1. The cast is amazing, both the faces you will see and the ones you won't.
2. In many ways, it hits a lot of beats that the original "Star Wars" does. Some of the podcasts I've been listening to, talked about how George Lucas was buddies with Joseph Campbell, so this story that pretty much hits all the beats in Campbell's heroes journey is not accidental.
3. All of this is to say, it's great source material. And I think it does some important things. It says, hey, there, longtime Star Wars fan, it's cool. We get it. We're back on track now.
4. It says, hey there, new fan who has never watched these things, we'll catch you up on what you need to know. We got you.
5. And it says, here's how you take the backbone of a story many people know, and make it similar, but not. What there was a, oh wait, I said no spoilers.
6. I saw this with a friend at the Air and Space Museum's IMAX theater, which is sort of a joy. I also figured the people who would choose to see this movie at the Air and Space museum would be excited fans. I think the vibe of a theater audience can be important, and it always helps to be surrounded by people determined to have a great time. (Unless you hate it. Then it's hard.)
7. You can say diversity is fan service. (I would argue it makes just as much sense as a rebel fighter pilot with a Scottish accent.) But seeing more females (I resent the implication that Leia wasn't there all along.) More visible people of color. (And yes, I have not forgotten Lando Calrissian.) It is good stuff.